Ethel L. Pavy, 83, who once operated corset shops in the Town of Niagara and in Buffalo, died Saturday (Feb. 3, 2001) in Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center after a long illness.
Born Ethel Manning in McCrory, Ark., she moved to Michigan in 1934. She moved to Niagara Falls four years later.
In 1967, Mrs. Pavy opened E. Pavy's Corset Shop on Military Road in the Town of Niagara. Two years later, she moved the store to Hertel and Parkside avenues in Buffalo, calling it simply the Corset Shop. It stayed in business for five years.
Mrs. Pavy continued to sell medical corsets, specialized garments and breast prostheses out of her home until last year.
She was a member of First Baptist Church.
Her husband of 62 years, Clearonia, known as "Clay," died Dec. 17, 1994.
Survivors include three daughters, Sandra Crowder of Bancroft, Mich., Linda Finck of Fulton and Jane Kendall of Bergholz; a brother, Roy Manning of Niagara Falls; a sister, Mary Murrell of Hayti, Mo.; eight grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
Services and burial will be private.