FREWSBURG -- Chautauqua County fire investigators have ruled Tuesday morning's fatal trailer fire in the Town of Carroll as accidental.
Coroner John Sixby has also ruled that Robert A. Davis, 58, of Frew Run Road, died of smoke inhalation when his large camper was destroyed in the blaze. Investigators determined that a kerosene heater had ignited some nearby materials.
The fire was called in by a passer-by about 6:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Frewsburg fire crews found the trailer fully involved in flames on arrival.
Accused of rape, man
is released on bail
YORKSHIRE -- A Delevan man facing rape charges involving a teenager has posted $5,000 bail for his release from the Cattaraugus County Jail.
Jack B. Dombrowski Sr., 38, of McKinstry Road, was arrested by Cattaraugus County sheriff's deputies in connection with an incident in February in Freedom involving a person younger than 17.
Dombrowski was arraigned on a charge of third-degree rape before Freedom Justice Joseph M. Pawlowski, who set bail.
Man walking along road
is hit by car in Niagara
TOWN OF NIAGARA -- A Grand Island man was injured Thursday morning when he was hit by a car while walking along Factory Outlet Boulevard, Officer Todd Case said.
Daniel Morano, 52, of Baseline Road, was treated for head trauma and other injuries at Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo and released, a medical center official said. Morano was taken to the hospital by ambulance, Case said.
The accident was reported at 11:27 a.m. near the entrance to Sabre Park when a car driven by Mitchell Bermudez, 20, of Staten Island, started to pass a slow truck on the right shoulder of the northbound lane. She slammed her brakes when she saw Morano walking on the grass ahead of her. The car, which was traveling at 40 mph, skidded about 85 feet across the grass and hit Morano, who landed on the hood and struck the windshield before he was knocked onto the grass, Case said.
Bermudez was charged with following too closely and passing on the right after Case and Police Chief John L. Keller completed their investigation.
Four men face drug charges
in seizure of marijuana
Buffalo narcotics detectives arrested four men on drug charges Thursday after confiscating more than 50 pounds of marijuana following a tip.
Officers from the narcotics squad received a telephone call late Wednesday from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department that it had intercepted two overnight-delivery packages containing marijuana that were destined for Buffalo, according to Lt. Larry J. Baehre, the Buffalo police public information officer.
Baehre said search warrants were obtained for both locations where the packages were destined in Buffalo, and stakeouts were conducted at both locations. After the deliveries were made at about 10 a.m. Thursday, the premises of both addresses were entered.
Three arrests were made at 373 Moselle St., where officers said they confiscated 35 pounds of marijuana. Charged with first-degree criminal possession of marijuana were Enoch Tarver, 38, of Roosevelt Avenue; Laster Thedrus, 31, of Floss Street; and Nathaniel Clark, 20, of Kehr Street.
Detective Phillip Tisdale said a fourth man signed for the delivery, which was shipped via FedEx, but fled the scene.
Officers said they confiscated 30 pounds of marijuana that were delivered to 444 Doat St., where they arrested Nigel Brown, 24, also of Doat Street. Brown faces charges of first-degree criminal possession of marijuana and first-degree criminal sale of marijuana.
Detective Gerald Skinner reported observing Brown trying to sell marijuana to another suspect for whom an arrest warrant was being sought.
As a spinoff of the investigation, Baehre said, narcotics detectives executed a search warrant at 721 Loring Ave., where they confiscated a .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol and .22-caliber semi-automatic rifle. No arrests were made at that location Thursday.
Man hurt after starting fire
while refueling lantern
LOCKPORT -- A man who spilled gas while refueling a Coleman lantern started a fire Thursday that injured him and did $10,000 damage to a rental house on Lewis Street, fire official said.
Tenant Jerry Sharrow was treated at Lockport Memorial Hospital for burns to his right hand and smoke inhalation, fire officials said.
The fire started at 4:11 a.m. while Sharrow was pouring gasoline into a lantern in his kitchen and spilled some. The gas ignited when it came in contact with a lighted candle. Electric power to the house was turned off about a week ago, fire officials said.
11 left homeless by fires
in two city neighborhoods
House fires in South Buffalo and on the East Side on Thursday left 11 people seeking emergency shelter from the Red Cross, fire officials said.
At 8:39 a.m., firefighters extinguished a blaze at 136 N. Parade Ave. Careless cooking caused the $70,000 fire in the 2 1/2 -story, wood-frame residence, leaving two adults and two children in need of temporary shelter.
The fire also caused $2,500 in exposure damage to a neighboring house at 132 N. Parade.
At 8:41 a.m., a fire of undetermined cause started in a 2 1/2 -story, wood-frame home at 37 Como Ave. and damaged homes on both sides. The $90,000 fire left a family of four homeless, authorities said.
The fire spread to 35 Como, causing $20,000 damage there. Three adults in that dwelling also sought temporary shelter from the Red Cross. In addition, a home at 39 Como sustained $15,000 damage, fire officials said.
One firefighter suffered injuries in the Como Avenue fires but was able to remain on duty.
Hospital worker charged
with theft of credit cards
An employee at Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Amherst, has been arrested after an investigation into credit cards being stolen from patients' and employees' purses, Amherst police reported Thursday.
Detective John Piracci charged Theresa Y. Harris, 33, of Butler Avenue, Buffalo, with two counts of felony grand larceny in the theft of two credit cards. Police identified her as a clerical employee at the hospital.
Some of the thefts reportedly came from purses of maternity ward patients. Detectives believe that some of the stolen credit cards were used at nearby department stores.