Share this article

print logo


MAYVILLE -- An 18-year-old man wanted in connection with a burglary of a lawn service business finally surrendered to authorities Thursday.

Adam Shoop of West Second Street, Dunkirk, surrendered Thursday afternoon in Dunkirk. City police and Chautauqua County sheriff's deputies had been tracking him for about a month, after he failed to surrender -- as previously agreed -- to face charges stemming from the Aug. 10 burglary at AJ's Lawn Service on Straight Road, Fredonia.

Following arraignment, Shoop was sent to the county jail in lieu of $10,000 cash or $20,000 property bail.

Shoop and John Ortiz, 17, of Antelope Street, Dunkirk, are accused of stealing items from the business, including a pickup truck that later was found burned on Airport Road.

Some property was recovered from the Ortiz home, authorities said previously.

Charges brought in case
of indecent exposure

WESTFIELD -- A 24-year-old man accused of exposing himself in front of a teenager surrendered to police Thursday morning.

Julio C. Deleon II of Dove Street, Dunkirk, was charged with public lewdness and endangering the welfare of a child.

Following arraignment in Westfield Village Court, he was released on his own recognizance pending another, unspecified court date.

Police said Deleon exposed himself to a 15-year-old village youth last Friday.

Bandits with a revolver
rob driver on Amherst Street

A resident of a Buffalo State College dormitory was robbed of $160 by two bandits who pointed a revolver at him in his vehicle on Amherst Street on Wednesday night, Northwest District police reported Thursday.

The thieves, each wearing a blue handkerchief on his face, approached the man on Amherst, between Grant Street and Military Road, and robbed him at about 7:05 p.m., police said.

Boy, 3, bumps his head
as school bus is rear-ended

A 3-year-old boy headed to a preschool program on a small school bus was treated for a bump on the head after the vehicle was rear-ended by a van in Eden on Thursday morning, Eden police said.

The van-type school bus was heading south on Main Street, about to turn left onto Schoolview Road, when it was struck from behind by the van at about 8:30 a.m., Officer John McCarthy said.

The impact tore off the back right corner of the bus.

"Just like a can opener, it opened it right up," McCarthy said.

The impact also pushed the back seat of the school bus forward at an angle. The little boy, sitting in a child-restraint seat in the front of the bus, was checked out by a school nurse at the nearby elementary school.

McCarthy ticketed the van driver, Gerald J. Kucharski, 55, of Buffalo, for following too closely and not wearing a seat belt.

Police said he was not injured in the accident.

Double attack leaves
victim without two teeth

A woman who lives in the Broadway-Fillmore area had two teeth knocked out in a pair of overnight attacks that left Buffalo police looking for a man accused of violating a court order of protection.

The woman told police that her attacker knocked her to the ground and choked her late Wednesday night. When police officers investigating the incident left to search for the man, he returned and beat her in the face and head, knocking out the two teeth, police said.

There are no comments - be the first to comment