Share this article

print logo


A 3-year-old boy headed to a preschool program on a small school bus was treated for a bump on the head after the vehicle was rear-ended by a van in Eden this morning, Eden police said.

The van-type school bus was heading south on Main Street, about to make a left turn onto Schoolview Road, when it was struck from behind by the van at about 8:30 a.m., Officer John McCarthy said.

The impact tore off the back right corner of the bus.

"Just like a can opener, it opened it right up," McCarthy said.

The impact also pushed the back seat of the school bus forward at an angle.

The little boy, sitting in a child-restraint seat in the front of the bus, was checked out by a school nurse at the nearby elementary school.

McCarthy ticketed the van driver, Gerald J. Kucharski, 55, of Buffalo for following too closely and not wearing a seat belt.

Police said he was not injured in the accident.

Man robbed at gunpoint
of $160 in his vehicle

A resident of a Buffalo State College dormitory was robbed of $160 cash by two bandits who pointed a revolver at him in his vehicle on Amherst Street Wednesday night, Northwest District police reported today.

The two thieves both had their faces covered with a handkerchief. They approached the man on Amherst, between Grant Street and Military Road, and robbed him at about 7:05 p.m.

Man, 59, killed by bull
in Clymer barnyard

CLYMER -- Richard A. Jude, 59, of 642 Clymer-Sherman Road was killed Wednesday afternoon when he was attacked by a bull on the Wassick Farm, 166 Clymer-Corry Road, Chautauqua County sheriff's deputies said.

Deputies are considering filing charges in the case but would not elaborate.

Jude was found on the ground in a barnyard about 3:15 p.m. with about a dozen Holstein cows and a Holstein bull. He was pronounced dead at the scene by Coroner P. Michael Nielson, who said after examination at WCA Hospital in Jamestown that the cause of death was a massive chest injury.

Nielsen refused to comment on the death today. An investigation is continuing.

Three arrested in connection
with armed robbery in Wales

Three young men have been charged with the armed robbery early Wednesday of a Town of Wales store, Erie County Sheriff Patrick Gallivan said.

The robbery occurred at about 2 a.m. at the Sugar Creek Store on Route 16, according to the sheriff:

Two men wearing masks entered, and one of them pointed a shotgun at the clerk and demanded the cash drawer be opened.

After the clerk told the robbers he was unable to open the safe, the men fled with about $148 and some cigarettes.

A dark car driven by a third person was seen leaving the area, deputies said.

Alerted to the robbery, patrol deputies began searching the surrounding areas.

Deputies James Mirusso and Jason Weiss saw the suspected getaway car at Center and Heath roads in the Town of Colden and began to pursue it.

The three occupants abandoned the car and ran into the woods. A Sheriff's Department helicopter was called in to help with the search.

Taken into custody by Mirusso and Weiss was Joseph Anthony Stover, 16, of Twin Lakes Trailer Park, Delevan. John Henry Ornce, 19, of Chaffee Road, Chaffee, was taken into custody by Deputy Daryl Demari.

Both were charged with a felony count of robbery.

Christopher W. Davis, 19, of Route 98, Arcade, surrendered Wednesday afternoon to Detective Vince Pupo Jr. and Deputies Butch Hudson and Curt Shultz. Davis, identified as the driver of the getaway car, also was charged with a felony count of robbery.

The three are in the Erie County Holding Center, pending arraignment in Wales Town Court.

Truck crashes into bridge
between two schools

SANBORN -- A truck driver was admitted to Mount St. Mary's Hospital, Lewiston, Wednesday after a crash that closed the overhead pedestrian walkway between Niagara-Wheatfield's middle and senior high schools.

An emergency room spokesman said Richard Yager, 64, was in stable condition but was being kept in the hospital for observation.

School Superintendent Judith Howard told the School Board Wednesday night that the truck "plowed into the bridge that connects" the schools at about 2 p.m. The large dump truck, being used by Cerrone Construction Co. for roadway work behind the school complex, had its bed in a raised position when the crash occurred, Howard said.

"We're very fortunate it happened at the end of the period (before class let out)," she told the board.

Damage to the bridge is extensive, and a structural engineer from Syracuse told school officials not to let anyone on or under it, she said.

The bridge was built three years ago as part of a multimillion-dollar capital project.

Three DWI drivers jailed;
another gets probation

LOCKPORT -- Three people who pleaded guilty to felony counts of driving while intoxicated were sent to jail Wednesday, and a fourth was placed on probation.

County Judge Sara Sheldon Sperrazza sentenced Robert S. Vargo II, 34, of Edison Avenue, Buffalo, to 1 1/3 to four years. Vargo was also fined $2,500 and his driver's license was revoked for a year. He was arrested Jan. 29 in Lewiston.

Sperrazza sentenced Michael J. Shannon, 37, of Dysinger Road, Lockport, to six months in jail followed by five years' probation. Shannon, who was arrested Dec. 13 in the Town of Lockport, was also fined $2,500.

In Niagara Falls, Judge Mark A. Violante ordered a Lewiston woman jailed for a year. Joann W. Rose, 39, of Onondaga Street, was arrested May 22 in Niagara Falls. Rose was also ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.

Violante placed Harold G. Printup on probation for five years. Printup, 28, of 19th Street, Niagara Falls, was pulled over on June 10 in that city.

Woman beaten and choked;
two teeth knocked out

A woman who lives in the Broadway-Fillmore area lost two teeth in a pair of overnight attacks that left Buffalo police looking for a man accused of violating a court order of protection.

The woman told police that her attacker knocked her to the ground and choked her late Wednesday night.

When police officers investigating the incident left the scene to search for the man, he returned and beat her on the face and head, knocking out the two teeth, police said.

The suspect is wanted on a felony charged of aggravated criminal contempt for violating the court order.

There are no comments - be the first to comment