Share this article

print logo


Buffalo police have arrested a man accused of breaking into an Oneida Street home armed with a hatchet and threatening the female resident's life, while her 4-year-old son lay on a couch.

Officers Patrick Crowley and Lance Russo charged Sean C. Gooden, 21, of Ernst Street with first-degree burglary, menacing, endangering the welfare of a child and weapons possession.

Police accused Gooden of entering the home at about 10:15 p.m. Tuesday before returning at 11:30 p.m. and again at about 12:25 a.m. He was apprehended outside the house early today after his third appearance at the house, police said.

Man shot in the face
and robbed of $200

A Straley Avenue man shot in the face early today, apparently during a robbery outside a Genesee Street fast-food restaurant, was listed in critical condition late this morning in Erie County Medical Center.

Mark Vitale, who is in his early 30s, told police he was robbed of $200 and shot in the face shortly after 1:30 a.m. on Genesee near Bailey Avenue. After the assault, he managed to flee to a nearby tavern.

Police are looking for a light-skinned black man with bushy hair.

Jury acquits former coach
of charge he attacked boy

Michael Campbell, a former youth football coach accused of attacking a 9-year-old boy during a game in Cheektowaga last fall, has been cleared of criminal charges stemming from the incident.

Campbell was acquitted of third-degree assault in a jury trial before Cheektowaga Town Justice Thomas S. Kolbert.

The incident last September touched off considerable controversy after Campbell, then a 26-year-old assistant coach with the Airlane Warriors, was accused of rushing onto the field and knocking down two of the Black Rock-Riverside Raiders, after his son was blocked hard.

One Raiders player, who weighed almost 200 pounds less than Campbell, supposedly suffered a concussion in the incident.

Campbell previously admitted both cursing at the referees for not calling a penalty on the play and making "contact" with one of the players.

But he vehemently has denied attacking or assaulting a player, saying that his left hand merely touched the left shoulder of one of the boys.

Candle in UB dorm sparks
fire; damage put at $2,000

An unattended candle sparked a bathroom fire that left $2,000 damage inside a dormitory on the University at Buffalo's North Campus Tuesday night, Amherst fire officials reported today.

Volunteer firefighters from Getzville Fire Company, responding to a 9:38 p.m. fire call at 34 Hadley Road, found the fire out on arrival.

Firefighters remained at the scene to ventilate the building, described as a two-story dorm in Hadley Village.

Deliveryman robbed of $60
by thief with taste for pizza

A bandit wearing a black ski mask and armed with an assault-style rifle stole $60 and a pizza late Monday from a deliveryman for Bob and John's La Hacienda on Hertel Avenue.

The victim was delivering a pizza on Highgate Avenue at about 11 p.m. when the robber confronted him in the side yard, displayed the weapon and robbed him.

The thief then ran east toward Bailey Avenue.

Police charge mother, 29,
with child endangerment

A Town of Tonawanda woman faces child endangerment charges after police responded to calls about a noisy argument at 4 a.m. today at the woman's home.

Police said they got three calls about a noisy fight at about 4 a.m. at a home on Riverdale Avenue. Rebecca Pfalzer, 29, returned at that hour with an unidentified man and her two children, ages 10 and 8, then got into a fight with the man, a frequent occurrence, neighbors told police.

The man was gone when police arrived, but Pfalzer began cursing and fighting with them. Police said that the apartment was littered with beer bottles and that marijuana was "out in the open."

Pfalzer was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and obstructing governmental administration.

A neighbor took the children in and agreed to give them breakfast and make sure they got to school.

Niagara deputy suspended
amid charges of menacing

LOCKPORT -- A Niagara County sheriff's deputy accused of physically and verbally menacing a former girlfriend while on duty has been suspended indefinitely.

Sheriff Thomas Beilein said Deputy James Hull was suspended after he was arrested Tuesday morning on charges of third-degree menacing and harassment.

The criminal charges against Hull stem from an early morning incident Aug. 20 in Cambria. An order of protection was subsequently granted to the victim by Town Justice Amel Jowdy.

The criminal case will be referred to Wheatfield Town Court. Hull also will face departmental charges, Beilein said. Because the alleged infractions occurred while Hull was on duty, he faces potential internal charges that include conduct unbecoming an officer.

Hull will continue to receive his normal pay pending the outcome of a departmental hearing that is to be scheduled, Beilein said.

There are no comments - be the first to comment