For more than a half-century, the Nazi massacre of Jews at Palmnicken, on a wind-swept and icy Baltic Sea beach, went unmarked and unremembered.
But 55 years after the killings of about 7,000 people, a Jewish group and local officials have unveiled a Holocaust memorial in Kaliningrad, a Russian enclave 680 miles west of Moscow between Poland and Lithuania.
At the end of January 1945, when Kaliningrad was German-ruled Koenigsberg, Nazi troops marched famished Jewish prisoners dressed in rags through snow flurries and subfreezing temperatures to the seashore, killing many of them along the way. Only 13 of them survived.
The 3-foot-high memorial unveiled Sunday was hailed by the city's small Jewish community as an important step in light of the city's search for its German roots. The memorial, made of granite and stones from the beach, overlooks the Baltic Sea.