John P. Ogiony, 77, a local developer and owner of several shopping plazas and residential facilities, died Tuesday (Jan. 25, 2000) in his home in Jupiter, Fla., after a brief illness.
Born in Lancaster, Ogiony attended St. Lawrence School. At 16, he started his career as a laborer and stone mason in his family's construction business before leaving to serve in World War II in 1942. He earned his high school diploma while serving in the Navy's 7th Fleet as part of the campaign in the South Pacific.
Honorably discharged from the Navy in 1946, Ogiony rejoined his father, Joseph, and two brothers, Louis and Edward, in the family business, Joseph Ogiony Sons Inc., which eventually was to become one of the largest residential home development companies in Western New York.
By the 1960s, the Ogionys had constructed more than 2,000 new homes, mostly in Cheektowaga. They expanded and soon were responsible for developing several area commercial sites and multiple-family residences in Hamburg, Lockport, Akron, Newfane, Attica and Oil City, Pa.
Ogiony was director and part-owner of Hearthstone Manor in Depew, Urbandale Builders and Garden Village South commercial developers. He also had ownership in the Cloisters senior citizen housing project in Akron, ODS Apartment Management and many other development partnerships.
Ogiony was a charter member of the Kiwanis Club of Cheektowaga and a former Buffalo Trap and Field Club member. He was also a member of Queen of Martyrs Catholic Church, Cheektowaga.
Ogiony left the Buffalo area for Jupiter, Fla., in 1989 but remained interested in the development of Western New York, as his son, Mark J., carried on the family business with a corporation of his own, M.J. Ogiony Builders.
Besides his son, survivors include his wife, the former Norma Breckenridge; two daughters, Paula O. Henry of Winchester, Va., and Nancy O. Joerg of Pendleton; a sister, Jenny J. Vitale of Cheektowaga; and seven grandchildren.
A memorial Mass will be offered at 9:30 a.m. Feb. 5 in St. Christopher's Catholic Church, 2660 Niagara Falls Blvd., Town of Tonawanda.