A 14-year-old boy charged with second-degree arson has been petitioned to Family Court in connection with a fire at 1:55 a.m. Wednesday in the lower apartment at 49 E. Courtney St.
Police said all residents were out of the building by the time they arrived. The Fire Department had extinguished a mattress fire, which damaged the floor and furniture in the bedroom.
Sgt. David Ortolano of the Police Department said: "The fire got out of control and the (suspect) woke up his mother and sister, who were sleeping in adjacent bedrooms. They were all lucky they made it out alive, as the smoke detector did not have a battery in it."
The Chautauqua County Fire Investigation Team assisted Dunkirk police in the investigation.