Share this article

print logo

BOY'S DEATH SPURS NEW ALERT ON BURGER KING POKEMON BALL

The Consumer Product Safety Commission plans to issue its second nationwide alert in a month after a 4-month-old Indianapolis boy suffocated in his crib on a Burger King Pokemon ball.

Zachary Jones is the second infant nationwide to suffocate on one of the "Poke Balls," a hollow red-and-white plastic toy about the size of a tennis ball that opens clamshell-style. He suffocated Tuesday after half of the ball-shaped container lodged over his mouth and nose.

"This is a danger parents wouldn't even imagine, because these balls look innocent enough, but they can be deadly if they get stuck over a child's face," safety commission spokesman Russ Rader said Wednesday.

Millions of the toys were handed out with Burger King children's meals late last year.

On Dec. 27, Burger King issued a recall for millions of the toys after the Dec. 11 suffocation death of a Sonora, Calif., girl who was found in her playpen with half a ball over her nose and mouth.

There are no comments - be the first to comment