Share this article

print logo

BABY SUFFOCATES ON BALL <br> RECALLED BY BURGER KING

A 4-month-old boy suffocated on a ball from a Burger King Pokemon toy that was left in his crib by his grandmother. The item had been the subject of a nationwide recall last month after a similar death.

Zachary Jones was discovered dead in his crib at about 9 a.m. Tuesday in his home in Lawrence on Indianapolis' northeast side, Deputy Police Chief Lana Schneider said.

"A 4-month-old baby cannot move things from their face, and basically it suffocated," Schneider said.

Schneider said the grandmother, 33-year-old Sheila Jones, and the 15-year-old mother, Ashley Jones, did not know about the recall that Burger King issued Dec. 27 for millions of the balls that hold Pokemon toys given away in children's meals.

The balls, measuring 2 3/4 inches to 3 inches in diameter, can be opened by pulling their two halves apart.

The voluntary recall followed the Dec. 11 suffocation death of a girl in Sonora, Calif.

There are no comments - be the first to comment