The Triumphal Bridge was a grand gateway to the 1901 Pan-American Exposition. Spanning the Grand Canal between the east and west lagoons of Mirror Lake, it connected the Fore Court to the south with the Esplanade to the north. The structure featured four 40-by-50-foot pylons, coated with stone-colored plaster, each topped by sculptures of rearing horsemen. The 140-foot-wide avenue between the east and west pylons formed the exposition's main axis, from the Electric Tower south to the equestrian statue of George Washington.
Also called the Triumphal Causeway, the bridge, designed by John M. Carrere, drew visitors from Delaware Park's natural beauty into the exposition's formal layout. The garlands of shields and colored flags draped over the center passageway suggested a drawbridge "leading from the natural outer park to the beauties of the creation of which man has been the chief factor," Carrere wrote.