The U.N. chief war-crimes prosecutor acknowledged Thursday that her staff looked into complaints about NATO's bombing campaign against Yugoslavia but denied that her office is conducting a formal investigation.
In Washington, the White House denounced the idea of a war-crimes inquiry focused on NATO as "completely unjustified."
Earlier this week, U.N. prosecutor Carla Del Ponte's spokesman said her staff had investigated the NATO bombing and given her a report.
"NATO is not under investigation by the Office of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia," the statement said. "There is no formal inquiry into the actions of NATO during the conflict in Kosovo."
Del Ponte acknowledged that she had "met with and received information from a variety of individuals and groups urging an investigation of NATO's actions during the Kosovo conflict."