Charges were dismissed Thursday against a Niagara Falls man accused of a July 15, 1998, robbery.
Niagara County Judge Peter L. Broderick Sr. granted a defense motion to throw out the indictment against Anthony E. Johnson, 36, on the grounds that his right to a speedy trial had been violated.
Johnson had been accused of robbing James Rogers of money by threatening him with a knife and hitting him in the head with a brick, according to the indictment.
Assistant District Attorney Lisa M. Wegrzyn said Johnson cannot be reindicted in the case. She said proceedings must begin within six months of the filing of an accusatory instrument, which in this case occurred in January. Johnson was not indicted until Oct. 5.
Wegrzyn said the reason for the delay was that Johnson was in a Canadian prison serving a sentence for a felony conviction there. He was not released until August, and Wegrzyn said Niagara County officials were unable to extradite him.