A name from the city's early history has been revived as a result of the merger of St. Jerome and Genesee Memorial hospitals, effective Saturday.
McAuley Hall, named for the founder of the Sisters of Mercy, will be known as Cary Hall, recalling the site of a mansion built by one of Batavia's pioneer families.
When the Sisters of Mercy in February relinquished their sponsorship of St. Jerome, it was agreed that Mercy-related names and religious items would be removed. Thus, Mercy Hall in the hospital, an alcohol and substance abuse treatment center, became Hope Haven.
The Cary Mansion was built in 1818 by Trumbull Cary, a surveyor who later served as village postmaster, a shopkeeper and banker. The Greek revival-style home was razed in 1964 by its new owner, St. Jerome Hospital, which built the McAuley School of Practical Nursing.
In its latter days, the Cary Mansion housed a pizza parlor, jewelry store and funeral home. It was used for five years by the sisters until larger classroom and dormitory space were needed.
Cary Hall, under United Memorial Medical Center, now houses physical therapy, mental health services and has conference rooms and an auditorium.