Hamburg Council 2220, Knights of Columbus -- soon to be 80 years old and serving 1,000 members from 23 Southtowns parishes -- did not always look so slick.
Nor was the building, located at 36 Pierce Ave., equipped with a gym, workout room, lounge, meeting rooms and a chapel.
The chapter was formed in 1920, 32 years after the K of C was born in New England to provide for the widows and orphans of Catholic workers who died in industrial accidents.
Originally, Council 2220 met in a small house on the site. In 1955, it built an addition to that house and in 1969 demolished it to build this front portion.
Although the need for widows' support is not as great as it was in 1882, the K of C still stresses fraternity, charity, patriotism and unity.