Share this article

print logo

ACCIDENTAL FLIP OF SWITCHBRINGS $73,000 SNYDER FIRE

A fire started Tuesday morning in a Snyder home after the power was accidentally switched on to wires that heat the home's gutters in the winter.

The blaze at 226 Berryman Drive did more than $73,000 to the 2 1/2 -story home and its contents. The Snyder, Eggertsville Hose and Getzville fire companies helped contain the fire to the roof and attic.

The homeowners, Frank and Judith Munger, were trying to fix an electrical problem and in the process accidentally turned on the power to the gutter-heating wires, firefighters said. With no snow or ice to melt, the heat built up and set the roof on fire.

The Mungers were not home when the fire started. A neighbor flagged down a passing motorist who called firefighters from his cellular phone.

There are no comments - be the first to comment