Share this article

print logo

WILLIAM H. FIRTH, JEWELRY STORE FOUNDER

William H. Firth, the founder of Firth Jewelers, died Saturday (Sept. 4, 1999) in Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center. He was 90.

Firth and his wife, the former Helen V. Olejarz, would have celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary today.

Born in Niagara Falls, Firth was a graduate of Niagara Falls High School. The 101st Street resident worked for 18 years as a research chemist at the former Globar.

He founded Firth Jewelers on East Falls Street in 1946 and later moved the business to Military Road in the Town of Niagara in 1973. He was a jeweler, watchmaker and clock maker. The business is still being operated by his grandson, Michael Firth.

Firth was a ham radio enthusiast with the call letters of K2SQL. He was a member of the American Radio Relay League.

He also was a member of Echo Singing Society, St. Mary's Choir, Buffalo Civic Opera, St. Mary's of the Cataract Catholic Church and Woodmen of the World.

Firth enjoyed woodworking and gardening.

In addition to his wife, survivors include two sons, John of Grand Island and William III of Youngstown; a daughter, Katherine Ziarno of Sarasota, Fla.; two sisters, Eleanor Price and Jeanne Lopano; 11 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

A Memorial Mass will be offered at 9:30 a.m. Saturday in St. Mary's of the Cataract Church, 259 Fourth St. Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery, Lewiston.

[N/FISCHER]

There are no comments - be the first to comment