Francis J. Domino, 66, a noted architectural engineer, died Jan. 19, 1999, after being overcome by smoke that entered his Koons Avenue home early that morning from a house fire next door.
A lifelong resident of Buffalo, Domino attended St. John Kanty Elementary School, Bishop Ryan High School, and Canisius College before graduating from the University of Detroit College of Engineering in 1955 with a bachelor's degree in architectural engineering.
In 1960, Domino became a state licensed professional engineer. He served as the Buffalo District architect in the design branch of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers from 1956 through 1970 and was the last district architect for the local corps.
He began business as a consulting engineer, focusing on architectural, civil and structural engineering. Some projects Domino worked on were the Baptist Life building, the State Police substation in Clarence, A&A Home Supply Plaza in Amherst, North Main Medical Building in Warsaw, the Survey Service of WNY office building in the Town of Tonawanda and the Anna Walentynowicz Apartment Building in Buffalo.
The most recent project Domino was involved in was the restoration of a senior citizen complex in the Old First Ward and the "Kids With Special Needs" Day Care Center. The nurses' room of that center, which will serve the needs of children born with drug addiction or HIV, will be dedicated in Domino's memory.
Some of the developments Domino was noted for were the Woodside, Woodlands at the Park, Countryside, Park Place Estates and Emerald Gardens subdivisions, and the Parkside Mobile Home development, all in Cheektowaga.
He was a consulting engineer with J. Fruchtbraum Consulting Engineers, Conax and M.J. Mechanical Services Inc. as well as a structural consultant for the Maryvale School District. Domino was also a veteran of the U.S. Army.
Domino was remembered for his designs of hundreds of Western New York homes. He was among the first architects to use Southern colonial architecture in the Buffalo area.
Survivors include his mother, Antoinette Domino and a sister, Mary, both of Buffalo, and a brother, Walter of Depew.
A Mass of Christian Burial was offered Jan. 23 in St. John Kanty Church. Burial was in St. Adalbert's Cemetery, Lancaster.