Share this article

print logo

WORKER SERIOUSLY BURNED IN TOWN OF TONAWANDA

A 24-year-old dishwasher was seriously burned in a fire inside the Boulevard Entertainment Complex at 1620 Niagara Falls Blvd. early today, Town of Tonawanda fire and police officials said.

Patrick Roncone was listed in serious condition in the burn intensive care unit of Erie County Medical Center late this morning.

Careless smoking was listed as the cause of the fire, which started on the southern end of the first floor of the two-story complex. The blaze, reported at 5:27 a.m., left an estimated $90,000 in damages.

Roncone, a dishwasher who was given permission to sleep in the complex, told firefighters that he fell asleep while smoking a cigarette.

"From what I understand, the security guard across the street heard him screaming," Brighton Fire Chief Donald Connolly said. "Then he got himself out."

About 60 volunteer firefighters from Brighton, Kenilworth and Ellicott Creek fought the blaze. Firefighters were hampered by rags, papers and other debris found inside.

There are no comments - be the first to comment