Lightning struck a home propane tank during a Sunday morning thunderstorm, but fast action by the resident prevented serious fire damage, Deputy Patrick J. Needle said.
The incident occurred at 10:10 a.m. at the Nancy Murray home, 4270 Tonawanda Creek Road, Needle said.
A friend of Ms. Murray's who was present at the time, Susan Conomos, said she and Ms. Murray happened to be looking out the window when they saw the bolt strike the tank, followed by a "big orange blast."
Ms. Conomos said Ms. Murray used a fire extinguisher to douse the flames and turned off the propane. There was minor damage to the back of the house, Ms. Conomos said.
Needle, who said the main line from the tank to the house caught fire, credited Ms. Murray's fast action with preventing major damage before Wendelville Fire Company volunteers could arrive.