In the late 1800s, when the Town of East Aurora was a harness-racing mecca, the Henry C. Jewett House was at the center of it all. Built in 1878 as part of the 800-acre Jewett Stock Farm, the three-story, 7,200-square-foot Gothic-Stick Style residence at 438 Jewett-Holmwood Road was designed for entertainment.
What is now the master bedroom was a ballroom, its floor insulated with sand to keep the noise from parties from invading the parlor below.
Now owned by John Teach III and Joyce Teach, the home features 9-foot windows, a solarium with 180 original glass panes, a men's smoking room-library and ladies' parlor.
The third-floor servants' quarters have floor-to-ceiling tongue-and-groove sheathing.
Outside, towering trees and herb and rose gardens planted more than a century ago still flourish.
But the famous one-mile covered racetrack, designed for all-weather horse training, is long gone -- dismantled in 1918.