Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo


A candle left burning on a second-floor porch apparently caused a fire at 21 Catlin Ave. Thursday.

Jamestown firefighters were called at about 6 a.m. after a smoke detector woke up the sleeping second-floor tenant, Lennarg Liffner. Assistant Fire Chief James McNally said Liffner alerted the owner of the apartment, Bob McMurdy, who lives downstairs.

McNally said the second-floor porch was "fully involved" and flames were threatening the house next door.

The second-floor porch and dining room were heavily damaged by fire. The rest of the apartment and the one below it suffered smoke and water damage.

One firefighter, James Gatto, was treated in WCA Hospital for a knee injury and released. There were no other injuries.

There are no comments - be the first to comment