Share this article

print logo

MILITANT THREATENS U.S. <br> "THE BATTLE HAS NOT STARTED YET"

Islamic militant Osama Bin Laden, vowing retaliation for the American attacks against his bases, directly warned President Clinton Friday of further strikes against American targets around the globe.

"The battle has not started yet. The response will be with actions and not words," Bin Laden was quoted as saying through a spokesman in a London-based Arabic newspaper.

The spokesman said Bin Laden directly addressed his warning message to Clinton.

In New York, ABC News said a similar Bin Laden threat had been relayed to it. The network said Ayman Zawahiri, whom it described as the head of the Egyptian Jihad group and a key aide of Bin Laden's, had called it in Pakistan with this message from the Islamic militant:

"The war has just started. The Americans should wait for the answer."

Supplying plenty of threats of its own, meanwhile, the Clinton administration declared Friday its cruise missile attacks on terrorists inflicted at least moderate damage on targets in Sudan and Afghanistan, and it hinted a new round of U.S. strikes might lie ahead.

It also warned of a violent terrorist reaction.

One day after Navy ships loosed 75 Tomahawk cruise missiles, national security adviser Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger said the attacks had "functionally destroyed" an alleged chemical weapons plant in Khartoum, Sudan, and done "moderate to severe" damage to a complex of terrorist training camps run by Bin Laden, the Saudi Arabian exile, in Afghanistan.

Defense Secretary William S. Cohen, after briefing lawmakers on Capitol Hill, warned that the U.S. attacks might be resumed. Asked if more strikes were scheduled, Cohen said: "That's always a possibility. We have contingency plans that we are developing, and there will be more in the future."

The cruise missile strikes, initiated Thursday in response to the Aug. 7 U.S. embassy bombings that killed more than 260 people in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, showed "we're going to be on offense, as well as defense," Berger told reporters at the White House.

While U.S. officials said they could provide no casualty estimates, an Afghan news service said 21 people were killed and 53 wounded at Bin Laden's sprawling Zhawar Kili al Badr training camp 94 miles south of the Afghan capital, Kabul, near the Pakistani border.

The Sudanese government said 11 people were injured in the bombing of the Al Shifa Pharmaceutical Industries plant in northern Khartoum, while others were missing and possibly buried beneath the rubble.

Because cloud cover was making satellite photography difficult, U.S. officials said they might not have a complete assessment of damage at the camp, where they believed a gathering of terrorist leaders had been going on, until sometime next week.

Some lawmakers who had expressed strong support for the strikes Thursday said Friday that they will not consider the mission a complete success unless it becomes clear the missiles inflicted sizable casualties.

"Just hitting physical structures is not particularly impressive," said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Cohen, meanwhile, conceded that it was not clear that the meeting of terrorists at the camps -- a key reason for the strikes -- had in fact taken place.

But a defense official said some buildings in the sprawling training site were badly damaged, while others were partially damaged and others were not harmed at all. Reporters traveling in the area said that the camps, the target of about 50 of the 75 cruise missiles, were pocked with craters 20 feet deep and up to 40 feet wide. Eyewitnesses said that when the missiles approached, they heard a loud hissing, then saw blinding fireballs.

The Sudanese chemical plant was almost totally flattened by the attacks. Film released by the Sudanese government showed the smoking wreckage of the facility, a complex of reinforced concrete buildings.

"America has declared war on us," Syad Abdullah, a senior Taliban leader, told the Los Angeles Times in an interview. "We will take revenge. If we had these sort of missiles, we would launch them against America."

Angry members of the Taliban may have been behind the shooting of two U.N. workers in the Afghan capital, Kabul, on Friday, although U.N. officials said that remained unclear. The workers, an Italian military aide and a French political affairs officer, were attacked while the United Nations was in the process of evacuating its roughly two dozen workers from Afghanistan.

The Frenchman was treated and released, while the Italian, wounded in the abdomen and arm, remained hospitalized in serious condition, U.N. officials said.

An angry mob also burned and looted the U.N.'s office in Jalalabad, Afghanistan.

In Pakistan, thousands of protesters burned effigies of President Clinton in Karachi, and police needed batons and tear gas to break up a march by angry Afghan refugees toward the U.S. Consulate in Peshawar.

Sudanese protesters threw rocks at the unoccupied U.S. Embassy in their capital, Khartoum, as the Sudan government issued a statement denouncing Clinton as a "sex pervert and maniac." Friday evening, the Sudanese ambassador to the United Nations called for an urgent meeting of the U.N. Security Council to take up the cruise missile strikes, although it was not clear when that might take place.

Sudanese officials complained that the chemical plant had produced medicines, including anti-malarial pharmaceuticals.

In his briefing, Berger did not dispute that the facility might, in fact, have manufactured such products. But he insisted that the U.S. government had strong evidence the site was used to produce so-called precursor chemicals for the highly toxic nerve gas VX.

Clinton sought to further explain the missile strikes to more allies with a round of phone calls made before he left Washington on Friday afternoon to resume his vacation on Martha's Vineyard.

He won expressions of support from such traditional allies as the Germans and British, but Russian President Boris N. Yeltsin sided with some unhappy Arab nations and complained that Clinton had not provided him advanced notice.

"I am outraged and denounce this," Yeltsin said on arrival in the city of Murmansk.

The State Department on Thursday issued a "worldwide caution" advising travelers and expatriates to review their security plans, stay alert to the news and take "much greater" care than usual.

On Friday, the FBI sent out a general security warning to all its offices, as officials in Washington added police patrols and tightened security around buildings, monuments and subway stations that could be targets for terrorists.

"It is reasonable and prudent to conclude that yesterday's action by the United States elevates the risk to U.S. interests worldwide," the FBI's statement said.

The U.S. mainland remains relatively difficult for radical Islamic terrorists to attack, but security experts say that Americans traveling in the Middle East and parts of Asia are taking a risk now and for weeks to come.

Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Time reported the Clinton administration has launched a concerted effort to track down and freeze the financial resources of multimillionaire of Bin Laden, whose name did not appear on a Treasury Department list of terrorists targeted for asset seizure until after the Aug. 7 bombings of two U.S. embassies in East Africa.

There are no comments - be the first to comment