Share this article

print logo

OWNERS OF PROPOSED CONCRETE PLANT FILE FOR BUILDING PERMIT

Owners of a proposed concrete plant in the Town of Royalton that has drawn strong opposition from people living near the site have filed an application for a building permit.

B.R. DeWitt, Inc. of Pavilion filed the permit application Friday in Town Hall for the 6.2-acre site at Route 31 and Canal Road.

The property already is zoned industrial and DeWitt has a contract to purchase the property from the current owner, Babcock Utilities, Inc.

The proposed ready-mix concrete plant would be a state-of-the-art facility with a dust collection system shown to be 99.9 percent efficient, according to a statement with the application.

Plans include a paved entrance and driveway. A water truck would be used to control any dust in the stockpile area. The only open stockpiled material would be prewashed stone, which has minimal dust content, according to the statement.

The application lists the estimated cost of the plant at $75,000.

Neighbors have voiced strong opposition to the plan, citing concerns over truck traffic and pollution and fears that property values would drop.

One of the leaders of the opposition, Dick Palladino, Tuesday said the company had previously indicated it was no longer interested in the site.

"This raises serious questions about their sincerity in being a good corporate neighbor and also raises questions over which local politicians led them to believe they could come into this community after all this residential uproar," he said.

But Supervisor Lloyd Westcott said the decision to file the application was strictly the company's and the application will go through the normal review process.

Westcott said he has not taken a stand on the project and won't until the matter has been studied.

There are no comments - be the first to comment