A Town of Eden man was charged Tuesday in connection with a teen-age drinking incident that police said almost cost a girl her life.
Michael Glaser, 22, of Roswell Parkway surrendered Tuesday afternoon with his attorney and was charged with a misdemeanor count of unlawfully dealing with a child. Glaser is accused of buying a quart of vodka that was shared by a group of teens who gathered to watch a movie in a Jennings Road home Saturday night.
The 14-year-old victim was at the home for a sleep-over when two boys stopped by. One of the boys, who is 15, had gone to Glaser's home and given him $20 to buy the vodka, according to Eden Police Officer Shawn Bishop.
The 15-year-old boy was referred to Family Court for a PINS (person in need of supervision) petition.
The parents at the Jennings Road house had checked on the group on at least four occasions, Bishop said. After the victim's condition was brought to their attention, they immediately called the girl's parents.
"The parents . . . aren't at fault," Bishop said. "They should be commended for contacting the parents right away."
Police were called when the girl was brought back to her Main Street home, and still was in the car when Officers Bishop and Mark Baltes arrived. The girl was unconscious and choking on her own vomit, Bishop said.
Bishop, who is the town's juvenile officer, accompanied the girl in the ambulance to Children's Hospital in Buffalo. "Her life was on the line on several occasions," the officer said.
An hour after she was hospitalized, the 100-pound girl had a blood-alcohol content of .25, the officer said. She was released from the hospital Sunday.
"The doctor told the parents the girl's lucky to be alive," Bishop said.
In the second case involving a teen-ager becoming highly intoxicated in recent days, Evans police are continuing to search for whoever supplied the vodka that left a 13-year-old girl in a near coma.
The girl has recovered since spending the night of Dec. 23 in Lake Shore Health Care Center, Police Lt. Samuel DeJohn said Tuesday.
The Evans girl had a blood-alcohol level of .16 percent, or more than 50 percent higher than the .10 percent legal limit for driving while intoxicated.
While that is not an extremely high level for an adult, "it was a lot for her because she's tiny," DeJohn said.
DeJohn said the girl was baby-sitting for a 7-year-old brother while the parents were out and four other teens, ages 13 to 15, came to the house in Derby with a liter of vodka.
They were drinking glasses of vodka when the girl became ill and nearly passed out. The others called 911.
"At least they were smart enough to call for help," DeJohn said.
He said the vodka apparently came from outside because the parents don't keep liquor in the house, but all involved have denied knowledge.
"I asked her how much she drank and she didn't know," he said. "She didn't know what she was doing until it was too late."
He said the teens appeared to be aware of the dangers of drinking large amounts and were familiar with the recent case of a college student from Orchard Park who died after lapsing into an alcohol-induced coma after attending a fraternity party at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.