John H. Mason, 68, of Clarence, a physical organic and industrial chemist who worked for many years with Carborundum Co., died Saturday (Dec. 27, 1997) in Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, Amherst, after a brief illness.
Born in Batavia, he was raised in Rochester and received his bachelor's degree from the University of Rochester in 1950 and his doctorate in physical organic chemistry from Carnegie Mellon University in 1955.
He spent most of his career as an industrial chemist, beginning with Union Carbide Plastics Co. in New Jersey.
In 1962, he joined Carborundum in Niagara Falls, where he worked as manager in several research and development positions until 1983. He was responsible for the development of eight U.S. patents relating to his work and wrote chapters in two books on polymers and 13 articles in chemical research publications.
He also received three Industrial Research "100" Awards -- one for a patented nitrous oxide removal process and the others for high-strength composite carbide yarns.
He was founder and president of Mason Abrasive in Akron from 1983 through 1988.
After his retirement, he was a part-time international technical consultant for several firms and an instructor in the chemistry department at Niagara County Community College.
He was active in First Presbyterian Church of Clarence as a deacon and a member of the board of trustees. He also was a member and former treasurer of the Buffalo Ski Club.
In the 1970s, he was chairman of the Joe Berg Foundation of Niagara County, dedicated to the promotion of scientific careers for high school students.
Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Alice Tallmadge Mason; a daughter, Beth of Raleigh, N.C.; a son, Parker of Seattle; and a grandchild.
A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Jan. 10 in First Presbyterian Church of Clarence, 9675 Main St. Burial will be in the family plot in Parsippany, N.J.