Share this article

print logo

RESIDENTS FLEE FIRE IN OLEAN BUILDING

Residents safely fled a large building on North Union Street, where flames broke out early Monday morning, Olean fire officials said.

The fire in Room 18 at 314 Union St., known as Central Housing, was reported at 4:46 a.m. and was brought under control within about 20 minutes. After smoke alarms failed to activate, residents were alerted door-to-door, a fire official said.

Damage was limited to a single room, and the second and third floors received smoke damage. Officials said the three-story building, which used to house college students, has several businesses on the first floor and between 20 and 30 rooms occupied by low-income tenants.

There are no comments - be the first to comment