Share this article

print logo

FIRE TIED TO WOOD STOVE DESTROYS AMHERST HOME

A malfunctioning wood stove was listed as the possible cause of a fire that destroyed one Roycroft Boulevard home and left exposure damage to two others early this morning, Amherst fire officials said.

A smoke detector awoke Robert Smith and his wife at 400 Roycroft Boulevard at about 2 a.m. The couple got out of the two-story house, and Smith was trying to put out the blaze with a garden hose when firefighters responded.

The fire left $195,000 damage to the Smith home, plus $30,000 damage at 406 Roycroft and $15,000 at 398 Roycroft.

Firefighters from Snyder, Williamsville and Main-Transit brought the blaze under control by about 4:30 a.m., although they had to return to put out a rekindling later in the morning.

There are no comments - be the first to comment