Minerva Free Library, on Park Street in Sherman, was the gift of one of the Chautauqua County community's foremost native sons.
Industrialist Oliver W. Norton, a tin-can manufacturer and Civil War veteran credited with writing the music for taps, deeded the building to the Minerva Club and the Town of Sherman in 1907.
A remarkably well-preserved example of public architecture in the eclectic style from the first decade of this century, the two-story brick building retains a sense of dignity and quality.
The central entrance is framed by unfluted columns and a projecting cornice containing a parapet engraved with the library's name. The symmetrical facade features windows in a variety of shapes and sizes.