Share this article

print logo

CHARLES E. CULLINAN, UNION CARBIDE ENGINEER

Charles E. Cullinan, a retired Union Carbide Corp. engineer who served 12 years on the Clarence Central School Board, died Saturday (Oct. 18, 1997) in Buffalo General Hospital after a brief illness. He was 72.

He was a World War II veteran of the Army Air Forces, a member of the Clarence Zoning Board of Appeals and a volunteer consulting engineer for the construction of the new Cradle Beach Camp.

An engineer at Union Carbide's Linde Division in the Town of Tonawanda from 1951 to his retirement in 1986, Cullinan also was a consultant until 1989 for St. Mary's Manufacturing Corp. in North Tonawanda and Chemical Design Inc. in Lockport.

Born in Avon, Cullinan was a 1943 graduate of Avon High School.

From 1944 to 1946, he was a staff sergeant in the Army Air Forces' 380th and 530th bomb squadron, "the Flying Circus," in the Pacific Theater.

Cullinan earned a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1951 and a master's degree in business administration from the University of Buffalo in 1960.

A resident of Clarence for the past 36 years, he was vice president of the Clarence Central School Board for several terms. He also was chairman of the board of directors of the Clarence Senior Citizen Center.

He was a Little League baseball and football coach and a member of the Clarence Film Club.

Cullinan also was parish chairman for the Catholic Charities Appeal at Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church in Harris Hill for several years.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, the former Patricia E. Finnigan; two sons, Daniel of Mobile, Ala., and Brendan of Clarence; three daughters, Emily of Princeton, N.J.; Sara Kelly of Newstead and Mary Scholl of Hopewell Junction; three brothers, Francis of West Henrietta and George and Timothy, both of Avon; a sister, Mary Ellen Burke of Avon; and seven grandchildren.

A memorial Mass will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday in Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church, 8500 Main St., Harris Hill.

There are no comments - be the first to comment