Share this article

print logo


A Niagara Active Hose firefighter suffered back and neck injuries Friday while fighting a fire in an Isherwood Drive home, Fire Chief David Rinker said.

A ladder fell on Firefighter Larry Kensinger while he was fighting the blaze, Rinker said. Kensinger was treated in Mount St. Mary's Hospital in Lewiston and released.

The fire at 4725 Isherwood started when a gas used as a flea bomb the house ignited as it came in contact with the furnace pilot light. The fire did $50,000 damage to the house and $25,000 damage to its contents, Rinker said.

The fire started at about 7:25 p.m. after the family left the house while it was being fumigated, Rinker said. He said the furnace apparently was not turned off and the flea bomb, which contained propane, ignited sometime after 7 p.m., gutting the house.

Firefighters from Active Hose and the Niagara No. 1 and Lewiston No. 2 fire companies cleared the scene at about 10:30 p.m., Rinker said.

There are no comments - be the first to comment