Holdout center Michael Peca has asked the Buffalo Sabres to trade him after the team apparently rejected his proposal for a one-year contract for around $1.5 million.
Peca's agent, Anthony Thun, told The Buffalo News that he made the request and the Sabres should have received it Tuesday.
"We are at an impasse and I strongly suggested that the Sabres trade Michael," Thun said.
Sabres general manager Darcy Regier confirmed the club has received a fax from Thun.
"We're not going to trade Michael Peca," Regier said. "He's a valuable part of our past, present and hopefully our future. Our intent is to continue working to get this matter done."
Peca, the Selke Award winner as the top defensive forward in the NHL last year, said last week he had rejected a two-year contract proposal by the team. It is believed the Sabres' offer was for around $1.2 million a year.
Peca had said he wants at least the reported $1.5 million the team will pay defenseman Alexei Zhitnik, who came to terms last week.