Share this article

print logo

DAMAGE SET AT $20,000 IN TOWN OF NIAGARA FIRE

A fire apparently caused by careless use of a lighter did $20,000 damage to an apartment at 6127 North Whitham Drive early Monday, Niagara No. 1 Fire Company Chief David Rinker said.

The blaze in Jacqueline Snyder's second-story apartment in a two-story, 12-unit complex started in the living room near a davenport, according to William Manth, the county deputy fire coordinator for
investigations.

Manth said the case was turned over to the Sheriff's Department Juvenile Aid Bureau, but added, "We do not feel it was an intentionally set fire."

Rinker said it appeared that Mrs. Snyder's 15-year-old son, whose name was not reported, spent a few minutes carrying property from their apartment to safety before the alarm was phoned in shortly before
1:30 a.m.

That delay could have been deadly, Rinker said.

The entire building was evacuated, although fire damage was confined to the Snyder apartment. One of the other residents, Lence Bolender, was treated in Mount St. Mary's Hospital, Lewiston, for a mild case of smoke inhalation,
Rinker said.

Mrs. Snyder and her son were aided by the Red Cross and given shelter at a motel.

There are no comments - be the first to comment