Share this article

print logo

AMHERST MAN BURNED COOKING CHICKEN WINGS

An Amherst man suffered second-degree burns Monday night in a grease fire that erupted while he was trying to prepare chicken wings, Amherst Fire Control said.

The fire was reported at 8:55 p.m. at 1756 Charlesgate Circle in the Swormville section of town. A pan of oil on the stove flared up when Heinz Diehl, 36, took the cover off, according to fire officials. Diehl threw the pan into the sink, spraying the oil on him and spreading the fire throughout the kitchen.

Diehl was able to extinguish most of the fire by using water. But he suffered burns on his face, chest, hands and leg, and was taken to Erie County Medical Center. His injuries were under evaluation late Monday.

Damage to the town house was estimated at $3,000 to the structure and $3,000 to its contents, fire officials said. Firefighters from the Swormville Fire Company and East Amherst Fire Department responded to the alarm.

There are no comments - be the first to comment