A 15-year-old boy accused of one abduction and three attempted abductions of four girls from their homes in the towns of Niagara and Lockport over 2 1/2 months this summer pleaded innocent to 17 charges Wednesday during his arraignment before Niagara County Judge Charles J. Hannigan.
James P. Summers of Leisure Acres was indicted by a grand jury in a sealed indictment filed Tuesday.
He is charged with four counts each of endangering the welfare of a child, burglary and attempted first-degree kidnapping; three counts of second-degree unlawful imprisonment; and single charges of second-degree kidnapping and criminal possession of a weapon.
Bail for Summers, formerly of Wildwood Acres in the Town of Niagara, was continued at $25,000, or $50,000 property, which was set previously in the Town of Niagara Court. Summers was returned to a juvenile detention facility in Rochester.
Summers is accused of orchestrating three incidents during July and early August at Wildwood Acres, including a knife threat to a 10-year-old girl. Residents of the subdivision posted a reward.
Summers was arrested Sept. 18 after a 4-year-old was abducted from her Leisure Acres home and was found unharmed in a field.
Suspicions about Summers grew when officials learned he and his adoptive parents moved to the Lockport mobile-home community from Wildwood in early September.
A pretrial conference is scheduled Nov. 12. First Assistant District Attorney Timothy R. Lundquist said some of the charges could be handled in Family Court.
"The only truly adult charges are those of attempted first-degree kidnapping and second-degree kidnapping," Lundquist said.
The teen-ager is being represented by attorney Joseph Carosella.