A Paris court Wednesday awarded $250,000 in damages to a garbage collector who said he became infected with the AIDS virus from a trash bag filled with used syringes.
The court ordered that the money be paid to Franck Salvatore, 34, who hurt his hand while picking up the bag at a Paris market in May 1991.
The bag, which contained needles and blood samples among other waste, came from the office of Dr. Roland Sananes, who specialized in acupuncture. It had been dropped at the market by the concierge of his building.
The doctor and the owner of the building were ordered to pay the damages.