A new landmark on Amherst Street is the Glenn and Awdry Flickinger Performing Arts Center at Nichols School.
Opened officially last March, the $4 million brick building includes a 480-seat auditorium with a state-of-the-art stage, vocal and instrumental music practice room, dressing rooms, set storage areas and projection facilities.
It is connected by a walkway to the Mitchell Hall dining area and the Rand Memorial Dining Room, which are used for receptions after events in the center.
The Flickingers donated $1 million to the project. Glenn Flickinger was a 1919 Nichols graduate. The couple's two children and three grandchildren also attended the school.