Share this article

print logo

11-YEAR-OLD COMES THROUGH IN FIRE CRISIS

An 11-year-old South Wales girl took charge Tuesday afternoon when a neighbor was seriously burned by fire, calling for help and then caring for the victim's four young children until other adults arrived.

Sheriff's deputies said those actions led to prompt medical attention for Colleen Kibler, 36, of Carpenter Hill Road, who was in serious condition Tuesday night in the Burn Unit at the Erie County Medical Center. Deputies said Mrs. Kibler suffered second-degree burns to her hands and face after using gasoline to light a fire in a fire pit outside her home.

Eleven-year-old Kimberly Marzec said she was visiting the Kibler home and was in an upstairs bedroom when one of Mrs. Kibler's four children came in screaming.

Mrs. Kibler "was outside making a fire and she put some gas on and stepped back," Kimberly said. "The flames got so big that (they) came up closer than she thought (they were) coming."

After learning what had happened, "I ran down the stairs and I called 911," Kimberly said. "As soon as I got off the phone with 911, I called my mom . . . she used to be a nurse."

Mrs. Kibler "was able to talk, but it was really muffled -- you could hardly hear her," Kimberly said.

When Kimberly called home, she told her mother what had happened and that she already called 911. "I said 'Hold on, I'll be right there,'" said Jackie Marzec, her mother.

The four Kibler children, ages 9 and under, were calmed down by the time Mrs. Marzec arrived and found Mrs. Kibler in the kitchen.

There are no comments - be the first to comment