The Clair Tanner House, 330 N. Main St., Holland, began as an office built in about 1850 for Schoellkopf Lumber Co.
The Tanner family, headed by Dana and his son, Clair, expanded it into a home and as the hub of their business enterprises. These included a lumber business, a spring and wagon shop, greenhouses, candy making, an electric battery company and a foundry. The Tanner family made cots for the U.S. Army during the First World War.
Overlooking Route 16 between stately two-story pillars, the four-bedroom house features high-grade oak, a massive fieldstone fireplace, a barn-beam living room and a variety of unusual doors, some of them with heavy-duty hardware evocative of a castle.