The Leland House stands on the site of the old Springville Hotel, which was built in 1824 in Springville. In those days, a forest stood on the south side of Main Street.
The present three-story structure with cupola was built in 1879 by H.G. Leland, from whom the hotel took its name.
Long popular as a social center and meeting place for service clubs and political groups, the Leland House is now being restored by restaurateur Steven Reynolds, its new owner. Eventually he wants to reopen the hotel rooms on the second and third floors. So far Reynolds has spent $250,000 on the renovations.