Share this article

print logo

FIRE DAMAGES HISTORIC CHURCH

A furnace problem triggered a fire Saturday afternoon that caused between $50,000 and $140,000 damage to Royalton United Methodist Church, which is more than 100 years old.

The fire started at 3:42 p.m. in the basement of the church at 5311 Royalton Center Road, said Terry's Corners Fire Chief Jeffrey Baes. He said the fire started in the furnace, but was not sure how it started.

He added that the fire was confined to the basement, where it destroyed electrical equipment and caused heavy smoke damage throughout the wood and brick building. Baes said the church sustained no structural damage.

There are no comments - be the first to comment