Share this article

print logo

CARBON MONOXIDE FUMES FELL TWO

A mother and her 3-year-old daughter were overcome by carbon monoxide Saturday afternoon in their basement apartment in East Aurora and rescued by a policeman and fire chief.

Patrolman Jack Wolff Jr. and Fire Chief Dale Parrish, responding to a call at 4:50 p.m. at 105 Park Place, found Karen C. Aubrecht, 25, and her daughter, Aliena, overcome by the deadly, odorless gas.

The girl was taken by Mercy Flight to Children's Hospital, where she was reported in satisfactory condition. Her mother was treated at the scene, Wolff said.

National Fuel officials said a vent pipe connected to a space heater in the apartment had become dislodged, allowing the carbon monoxide fumes to enter the living space.

Other tenants in the apartment building escaped unharmed and spent Saturday night with relatives while the building was checked.

There are no comments - be the first to comment