Two men were rushed to hospitals Friday night after they apparently were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes while working at the Bethlehem Steel Co. plant in the Town of Hamburg.
Town police reported that Gene Hill, 32, of Fort Erie, Ont., was taken to Our Lady of Victory Hospital, Lackawanna, where he was listed in serious condition. The second victim, Matthew Nasca, 23, of Lawtons was taken to Mercy Hospital.
Lt. Dennis Gleason and Police Officer Randall Klinger said the two men, employed by John B. Conomos Inc. of Bridgeville, Pa., were working in the basement area of a water quality control station at the time of the accident. They said the pair was felled by fumes apparently produced by a gas powered generator they were using.
Authorities said the accident will be reported to OSHA for further investigation.