Eleven Seneca Vocational High School students were taken to area hospitals just before noon today after a student inadvertently sprayed pepper gas on a bus taking them to Greater Buffalo International Airport, Amherst police said.
The students experienced discomfort breathing after inhaling the fumes but were not expected to have any serious problems, police said. The other 13 people aboard were treated at the scene.
Police said the incident occurred at 11:35 a.m. when a student found a pepper spray canister in a girl's purse, thought it was empty and sprayed it while the bus was at the intersection of Wehrle Drive and South Autumn Street. The students were headed to the airport for ROTC training, police said.