Share this article

print logo

U.S. URGES END TO RWANDAN MASSACRES

The United States Thursday called for an end to the massacres in Rwanda that it said had killed at least 100,000 people.

"We call on the government and the military leaders in Rwanda to do everything in their power to bring an immediate end to these savage acts," said spokeswoman Christine Shelly.

"The government must make it clear to all Rwandans that attacks on civilians are unacceptable and will not be tolerated," she said.

Ms. Shelly said the United States was working with the Organization of African Unity and with African governments to bring the warring parties to the negotiating table.

"We are in contact with all sides in the conflict and are urging them to end the civilian killings, to re-establish a cease-fire and to also return to the negotiations," she said.

Ms. Shelly would not say exactly how the United States, which pulled its embassy personnel out of Rwanda when the fighting began earlier this month, was in touch with the warring parties.

The U.N. Security Council decided last week to cut the strength of U.N. forces in Rwanda to 270 from 2,500, saying it could see little hope of an imminent cease-fire.

There are no comments - be the first to comment