Services for Dr. John V. Anderson, 87, who was known as an "old-fashioned country doctor who made house calls," will be held at 2 p.m. June 5 in St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 591 E. Main St., Springville. Burial will be in Randolph Cemetery.
Anderson, a former mayor of Delevan and onetime president of the Bank of Delevan, died Thursday (May 27, 1993) at his home after a long illness.
A native of Jamestown, he graduated from Peddie Prep School in Heightstown, N.J., in 1923 and Cornell University in 1929. While at Cornell, he sang in the Cornell Glee Club.
He received his medical degree from the University of Buffalo in 1934 and opened his practice in Delevan in 1936.
Anderson was mayor from 1940 to 1942, when he entered the Army Medical Corps. He served in the Pacific Theater. He was discharged in 1946 as a major.
After the war, he returned to Cattaraugus County and served as president of the Bank of Delevan from 1947 to 1962.
He was chief of staff at Bertrand Chaffee Hospital in Springville for many years and was a staff member at Olean General Hospital and Millard Fillmore Hospitals.
He was Cattaraugus County coroner from 1962 until his retirement in 1990.
He served on the Cattaraugus County Nursing Home Utilization Review Board and as school physician for the Delevan-Machias schools and later the Pioneer Central Schools. He also had been the head physician for Fiddler's Green Nursing Home in Springville.
He helped pay the costs of college educations for a number of area young people.
He is survived by his wife of 59 years, the former Dorothy Lockwood.