Share this article

print logo

LEW-PORT OFFICIALS AIMING FOR MID-FEBRUARY BOND VOTE

Officials of the Lewiston-Porter Central School District are aiming to place a $6.7 million bond issue for building repairs before voters in mid-February.

Don W. Rappold, the district's director of finances and facilities, said the proposal will be presented to the School Board at a meeting Dec. 18.

The financing, he said, was suggested by the district's Focus Group on Facilities, part of the Advisory Committee to Superintendent Walter S. Polka.

Plans call for the district to borrow $6.7 million over a 15-year period, with state aid set at $4.2 million or 63 percent of the total, leaving the district to raise the remaining $2.5 million, or 37 percent, through property taxes.

The bond issue is estimated to cost average homeowners in the Town of Lewiston another $30 a year and those in the Town of Porter another $26 a year, both figures based on a $60,000 property
assessment.

Plans call for spending an estimated:

$1.5 million for renovation and asbestos removal required to reopen two wings in the elementary school building to meet the immediate and anticipated increase in lower grade enrollments.

$998,000 for roof repairs at the two elementary units and the senior high school building.

$47,000 for winterization of windows in the North Elementary building.

District voters have previously defeated two other renovation bondings, a $12 million proposal submitted in 1989 and a revised $5 million issue voted on last spring.

There are no comments - be the first to comment