Share this article

print logo


The Town Hall will be the only polling place for the Dec. 28 referendum on the sale of some public land, the Town Board decided Monday.

Because elections officials must verify that voters are town property owners, the town assessor's list of property owners of record must be used to check names.

Supervisor Terry Kuehn said the record is too large and clumsy to be copied for use at all the usual polling places.

Other than owning property in Wheatfield, voters must be at least 18 years old and residents of the town for at least 30 days.

The referendum will be listed as two items. The first would allow the town to sell 10 acres of town property to Wheatfield Congregate Living Center Inc. for the construction of a 123-unit senior citizens housing complex.

The second proposition would determine the use of the projected $125,000 from the sale. Town officials would like to use the funds toward the construction of an adjacent day-care center and senior citizens meeting hall.

The referendum was called for by residents who petitioned the board last month. Opponents of the project accused officials of engaging in secret negotiations and failing to offer the same terms to other developers.

Voting will be from noon to 9 p.m.

In a related matter, the board announced that all persons interested in farming another parcel of town land should register with the town clerk, Dec. 5-21. The 10-acre parcel also is located behind the hall.

Kuehn said if more than one person expresses an interest, a lottery will be held to select a winner.

In other business, the board:

Approved the purchase of a $2,775 computer for the building inspector's office. The equipment will be purchased from the PC Store, 3048 Niagara Falls Blvd.

Set a public hearing for the reorganization of the Plumbing Board for 7:45 p.m., Jan. 7. According to Councilman Neil Haseley, the plan is to change the board seats from paid to volunteer positions. Haseley said the move would allow residents to perform their own plumbing work pending town inspection. Presently, the work must be done by a licensed plumber. He said the present law curtails individuals' rights and does not conform with another regulation that allows residents to do electrical work if the work meets town codes.

There are no comments - be the first to comment