The Market on Main building at 2495 Main St. is an industrial landmark built in 1913 for the Ford Motor Co. as a sales, service and assembly plant.
The building was designed by architects Albert Kahn and Ernest Wilby and patterned after a Ford plant in Cambridge, Mass. Ford built 599,232 Model T's at the plant from 1913 to 1928, then switched to Model A assembly until 1931.
Bell Aircraft leased the plant in 1941 and 1942, using it for the top-secret design project that culminated in the P-59 Airacomet, America's first jet aircraft. From 1942 to 1945 a subsidiary of the Hercules Motor Co., a firm that built diesel engines for the Navy, leased the plant.
Trico Products Co., the world's largest maker of windshield wipers, occupied the plant until 1987. The building was purchased in 1988 by Rae Brothers Inc. of Toronto for restoration as a market complex.