Share this article

print logo


Lanier Center names Maclin to position

The board of directors of the Bob Lanier Center for Education, Physical and Cultural Development, 820 Northampton St., has announced the appointment of Robert Maclin as executive director of the center.

Wygenia Miles has been named deputy director.

The center works with inner-city schoolchildren to better their chances of success in school.

4 teens assault shop owner during theft of sneakers

Four teen-age boys tole a $75 pair of sneakers from a sporting goods store at 1293 Hertel Ave. about 12:15 p.m. Thursday and assaulted the proprietor, Colvin Station police said.

The four, between 16 and 18 years of age, robbed Topspin Sporting Goods, police said. As one of them attacked the proprietor, Andrew Krawczyk, 50, another snatched a pair of sneakers. The four fled south on Crestwood Avenue, where they drove away in a two-door car, police said.

Jury indicts parolee in rape of Buffalo teen

A county grand jury Thursday indicated a recently paroled man on rape and other charges in the sex attack on a Buffalo teen-ager three weeks ago.

Andrew Wimberly, 26, of Fillmore Avenue was charged with first-degree rape, sodomy and sexual abuse for the June 3 attack on a 17-year-old girl in his flat.

Erie County District Attorney Kevin M. Dillon said Wimberly had been paroled six weeks beforethe attack but refused to disclose why Wimberly was in prison. Currently jailed without bail on parole-violation charges, Wimberly will be arraigned in Erie County Court Monday.

Arson blamed for blaze in Glenwood Avenue home

An arsonist set fire to an occupied 2 1/2 -story on Glenwood Avenue this morning, but no residents were injured, fire officials said.

The fire at 55 Glenwood began about 9:30 a.m., apparently in the upper floor at attic, fire officials said. The flames caused an estimated $45,000 in damages before being placed under control about 9:50 a.m. by more than two dozen firefighters.

"The attic was totally gone," explained one firefighter who said he was not sure if the second floor also was engulfed. "The fire was in the top two floors, if not the attic alone."

Officials said an undetermined number of residents made it out of the house quickly and safely, without the assistance of firefighters.

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries but were treated and remained on duty.

The house was sectioned off into apartments.

Officials did not have a suspect and had not determined a motive.

There are no comments - be the first to comment